University of Baguio Performing Arts : :
Dedicated to the development of the person as a whole, the University of Baguio offers a strong and diverse program in the Performing Arts. The Performing Arts Group includes the UB VOICES, UB GRACES DANCE TROUPE, UB CHAMBER ORCHESTRA and the UB BAND. Whether in a studio or on stage, UB provides opportunities for students to explore their creative talents in a rich variety of venues.
The same high standards that are found in the traditional academic realm can also be found in singing and dancing. Each of these arts enriches the mind of our students and enhances our entire community.
General ObjectivesThe Performing Arts is an essential part of a complete education and an important contribution to a rewarding college life. The University of Baguio strives to provide the entire student community with a well-rounded arts education by teaching basic performance skills and exposing students to a rich variety of performing arts experiences. Students achieve an aesthetic understanding and appreciation by exploring their own creative potential and by participating in ensemble work. Being a member of the Performing Arts also teaches an appreciation of different social, cultural, and historical points of view as expressed through performing arts.
The exposure available at the University of Baguio is outstanding and will not only prepare but also inspire the student who may want to further pursue arts in greater measure upon leaving the University of Baguio.
- Scholars will learn the basic skills that may be pre-requisites to a career in the performing arts.
- Scholars will achieve an aesthetic understanding and appreciation of the performing arts through individual and ensemble work.
- Scholars will explore their creative potential through curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Scholars will learn an appreciation of other social, cultural and historical point of views through participating in and learning about the performing arts.
- Scholars will embrace the performing arts as an important and integral part of life.
- Scholars will share their emotional point of views through artistic expression.
Recognition and Accreditation
- Performing Arts Group is considered an organization in the University, hence, each group must be duly recognized and accredited by the Office of the Student Affairs.
- For a new performing arts organization, the following are the criteria:
- Students should be duly enrolled and bonafide members of the academic community.
- Organization is established for socio-cultural purposes
- Organization should conform to the Vision, Mission, objectives and policies of the University and their respective colleges.
- Type of organization desired should not be a duplication of existing organization.
General Policies and Guidelines
The Graces Dance Troupe consists of students from the different departments of the University who share the same craze in dancing as their talent. The group performs different genres of dances from ethnic, folkdance, contemporary, modern dances, hip-hop and break dance and with its newest genre the Cheer dance and cheerleading. As a group they do not only perform to entertain and to compete but to enjoy, share and develop their passion in dancing.
The UB Voices as the official choral group of the University has won countless choral competitions from local to national and still striving for excellence in terms of choral singing. UB Voices invites singers of the highest morale and self discipline from different departments of the University and train them to become responsible individuals.
UB Voices Chorale have travelled to the different parts of the country to render concerts and outreach programs to help other people and leave a good legacy in the community and make a good name for the University of Baguio.
The Ruby Experiment, named after a gem is a pop-rock band formed during the second semester of 2008. The band consist of talented students who share the passion in music.
The University of Baguio Chamber Orchestra is a newly organized group under the guidance of its music director Mr. Nelson O. Polvoriza thru the initiative of the Office of the Student affairs. It offers scholarship to talented students who passed the audition. These gifted students come from different departments and work on vast repertoire ranging from classical, pop, folk, and emerging Filipino music.
Its mission is to promote the love for music and build unity, maturity friendship and commitment through quality training and performance experiences. It envisions to become a symphony orchestra that will grace primarily the university’s special events and to compliment with other UB performing groups.
The members share the common love for music with their respective instruments. Series of musical enhancement program will be conducted and different ensembles will be created.
GRETEL F. ACOSTA
CULTURAL & PERFORMING ARTS COORDINATOR
Office of the Student Affairs: (6374) 442-4915 loc 235